Santa Fe Public Library
Santa Fe Public Library is a division of the Community Services Department of the City of Santa Fe, New Mexico. It is primarily funded by city revenues and supplemented by funds from the Friends of the Library, the New Mexico State Library, private donations, and grants. All libraries are wheelchair accessible and have accessible parking.
In 1896, the Women's Board of Trade and Library Association set up a reading room near the Plaza and on January 13, 1908, it opened the Santa Fe Public Library at 120 Washington Avenue. When the city needed a more spacious Main Library, the site chosen was 145 Washington Avenue, the Berardinelli Building, the city's former Municipal Building designed by New Mexico architect, John Gaw Meem, and built as a federal Public Works Administration project in 1937. The building was extensively renovated for its use as a library and opened in 1987. The library totals 37,500 square feet, with two levels for public use and offices, and a lower level housing the Library’s Technical Services Department and Interlibrary Loan office.
Distinctive features of the Main Library include a large Southwest Reading Room with both reference and circulating book collections related to New Mexico’s history and culture, a clippings file for subjects of local interest, and extensive back files of periodicals in both paper and microfiche format. The library also has issues of Santa Fe's newspaper, The New Mexican, on microfilm from the late 19th century.
The Tybie Davis Satin art gallery on the upper level provides display space for local artists. Two meeting rooms are available seven days a week for Library programs, public meetings and presentations. Contact the Main Library
Oliver La Farge Branch
The Oliver La Farge Branch, 1730 Llano Street, named after Santa Fe’s Pulitzer Prize winning author, was originally opened in 1978 and was remodeled in 1988. The 12,500 square foot building is the work horse of the branches, serving over 250,000 patrons annually. Programming for children is paramount with Books and Babies, Preschool Story Times, and After School Science. One of the features of the Oliver La Farge Branch is the New Mexico Quilt, a ceramic tile mural created by Janet Maher and Marie Stewart. The quilt consists of 240 handmade carved red clay tiles with imagery reflecting New Mexico’s cultural and historical legacy. Contact the Oliver La Farge Branch
The Southside Branch at 6599 Jaguar Drive is the newest of the three library buildings of the Santa Fe Public Library. The 25,000 square foot Library opened in 2007 with many environmental features including radiant heating, water collection for irrigation, low VOC paint, passive solar and carpet tiles made from recycled carpeting, making this a beautiful and
Art work was incorporated into the building design, and a woven Olla, the latest art piece by artist Randy Walker, overhangs the entrance. Families are drawn to the large Sena Family Children’s Room for books, movies, games, and programs. The library’s high ceilings, many windows, and outdoor patios and plaza make it an inviting space for all members of the community. Contact the Southside Branch